Homeplace Ministries
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Homeplace Ministries

HOMEPLACE MINISTRIES FORUMS

You are not connected. Please login or register

what happened to the giants

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1what happened to the giants Empty what happened to the giants Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:54 pm

itsmelord

I was reading Genesis and it says that the sons of God took men's daughters and had children with them but when all life was destroyed (accept noah and his family) were the sons of God destroyed or did they escape because it says they were there in that time and after. Do we have repercussions from that line today? Are people that are unusually tall descended from that line still? I am very confused in this area. Does this still happen today?

2what happened to the giants Empty What Happened to the Giants? Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:51 pm

PastorVL

Question:

I was reading Genesis and it says that the sons of God took men's daughters and had children with them but when all life was destroyed (accept noah and his family) were the sons of God destroyed or did they escape because it says they were there in that time and after. Do we have repercussions from that line today? Are people that are unusually tall descended from that line still? I am very confused in this area. Does this still happen today?
****************************************************************************************************

Genesis 6:1-7 (KJV)
1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
****************************************************************************************************

This appears to be several questions in one.
I’m not surprised that you have experienced some confusion. Many theologians have wrestled with the same questions.
I am no expert, but I will answer to the best of my ability.

Part 1 of Question:
Were the sons of God destroyed or did they escape because it says they were there in that time and after?

In Genesis 6:7 God clearly states His intent to destroy man, beast, creeping things, and fowls of the air.

Genesis 6:7…
And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

With the exception of Noah, his wife, their three sons and their wives (and of course the animals on the ark) everything living thing on the earth that breathed died in the flood. None escaped God’s wrath.

Genesis 7:21-23…
21 And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man:
22 All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.
23 And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.

Now, if the “Sons of God” were men; they did not escape the flood. (see Gen 7:21)

The disagreement occurs when trying to identify the “Sons of God” spoken of in Genesis 6.
There are some who believe they were fallen angels that had children with the “Daughters of men”. They reference Job 1:6 which states: “Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.” The results of these unholy unions supposedly were the giants spoken of in verse 4.

Others hold to the theory that the “sons of God” were the unholy Cainites (descendants of Cain) who married the daughters of the Godly Sethites. Seth was the third son of Adam and Eve. He was born after Cain murdered his brother Abel. Seth (or Sheth) was an ancestor of Jesus Christ.
The Cainites were wicked, insincere and uncommitted in their religious practices. (i.e., Cain’s sacrifice was disrespectful; Abel gave his best; see Genesis 4). The Sethites honored God.
The school of thought concerning this theory is that marriages between those who are inherently evil and those who desire to live Godly lives are unequal and lead to disastrous consequences. We know this to be true. Just look around the world today. The Lord is very clear that Christians are not to be joined together with non-believers:

2 Corinthians 6:14-18…
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Concerning the giants spoken of in Genesis 6:4…
“There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.”

The Hebrew for giants is “Nephilim” (fallen ones) or “Nephil” (see strong’s concordance number 5307) which means a feller, i.e. a bully or tyrant; giant. In men’s eyes they were the mighty men of old, men of renown. In God’s eyes they were sinners (fallen ones) who were ripe for judgment.
Nephilim were the offspring of marriages between the “sons of God” and the “daughters of men”. Some believe the Nephilim were descended from famous rulers, outstanding leaders, and mighty warriors who lived before the Flood.

Part 2 of Question:
Are people that are unusually tall descended from that line still?

According to Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary:
The term for giant in Hebrew implies not so much the idea of great stature as of reckless ferocity, impious and daring characters, who spread devastation and carnage far and wide.

As far as a person’s physical stature is concerned, I believe God makes people in all sizes and shapes. Our Lord is not concerned with the size of our bodies. He is concerned with the condition of our hearts.

Part 3 of Question:
Do we have repercussions from that line today?

Yes, but the repercussions we experience have nothing to do with the height of our ancestors. It is the repercussions from man’s sinful nature that haunt us. The curse of condemnation became humanity’s heritage through the first man, Adam. Even the flood could not cleanse man’s sinful nature. Man is just as evil today as he was before the flood. The only flood that can redeem us comes through the cleansing blood of Jesus Christ.

Part 4 of Question:
Does this still happen today?

We are in a constant battle against the evil forces at work in this world.
Remember…

Ephesians 6:12…
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Let me leave you with these words of encouragement from the Lord:

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
(John 16:33)

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum